About a decade ago, adding an auto-reply to your e-mail (the thing that says “I got your message, and I will respond as soon as I finish my fourth Glenlivet, but really you should contact my assistant Gwen because I’m a super-leveraged uber-entrepreneur enjoying my four-hour work week”) became all the rage.
Chalk this up to it being the one thing readers of The Four-Hour Work Week by Tim Ferriss could implement immediately.
The Morning Adam™ uses an auto-reply (it replies once every 24 hours) and…
Get used to it.
No, we can’t (and won’t) turn it off just for you.
Stop your bitching.
For Us, The E-Mail Auto-Reply Is A Revenue And Profit MACHINE.
Though we tweak it from time to time, it reads something like this:
I got your message 🙂
If you’re with the media, or a member of the Business Creators’ Institute Titanium Elite Program, call toll-free (888) 536-5596 extension 23.
Be sure to leave your number even if you think I have it, if I am unable to answer live, as my business manager will triage.
If this is a non-urgent matter and you would like to schedule a phone-call, you may do so using the options at http://www.businesscreatorsinstitute.com/hire-us/
Otherwise, I will check this e-mail and reply if necessary before the close of business.
- “I got your message” – the only way the auto-reply works is if the message was received. Now, we can focus on our money-making work without us having to stop recording a very important tutorial video for a big client just to log into our email and reply “Got it” to an e-mail we’re not prepared to answer right now.
- “If you’re with the media” – now you know the media contacts us.
- “or a member of the Business Creators’ Institute Titanium Elite Program” – now you know we have one. We get business inquiries that lead to business (you know, they pay us and we do stuff for them) from this phrase. It also sends the message that “time is money” is something we take quite seriously around here, and when you work with us, we won’t be taking calls willy-nilly when you need stuff.
- “Be sure to leave your number even if you think I have it” – since we’re big-time globetrotters, we might return your call from an airport departure gate on our way to/from an exclusive in-person Client VIP Day.
- “my business manager will triage” – now you know someone else might reply. That’s us helping YOU.
- “If this is a non-urgent matter and you would like to schedule a phone-call…” – you have yet another option, which is to book a phone call to discuss that important thing. We even have a technology that eliminates the phone tag!
- “Otherwise, I will check this e-mail and reply if necessary” – if this is actually urgent, you have the other options listed above.
Now you know.
And it’s not like we didn’t give you 2 other options AND specific guidance on how to get a faster reply.
Everything Helps Your Business When You Do It Thoughtfully and Strategically.
We haven’t mastered the four-hour work week.
Heck, we haven’t mastered the four-hour work DAY.
Nor do we want to – a business you enjoy should make you WANT to spend at least four hours a day on it, whether through actual work or through brainstorming to innovate more awesome stuff.
But we have figured out how to use technology effectively to spend less time editing and maintaining, and more time educating and monetizing.
And, thank goodness, we’re not doing THIS for crying out loud.