Are you feeling a little overwhelmed these days?
One of the leading causes of overwhelm, aside from the usual mumbo-jumbo about needing to leverage a virtual team better, blah blah blah, is having too much on your plate that shouldn’t be there in the first place.
- To what extent do you use the phrase, “No sweat, we can throw that in?”
- Are you trying to be the TOTAL “one-stop-shop” for EVERYTHING that ANY potential customer could ever need? (HELLO — referral relationships much???)
- This latest “big name client” whose needs don’t fit where you’re trying to take your business, but who is a friend of so-and-so “whale” client of yours… are you REALLY doing your client a “favor” by taking on their friend, or are you risking severe damage to TWO business relationships, plus everyone they both know?
- Is $4/mo in residuals (like, for being a web hosting reseller) worth it if it means having a customer chained to you for one small thing, long after they’ve otherwise flown away?
- Will this “hot new prospective JV” who’s courting you get you more of what YOU want (regardless of how big the other person’s list is)
- Wait, did you just tell me they’re beating down your door? So doesn’t that mean that there are probably some GOOD fit opportunities too? If not, where are they coming from? Where should you be looking?
Here’s Our “Get Out Of Overwhelm” Package For You
If the wrong opportunities are beating down your door, then it’s time to start saying “no” to what you’ve been saying “yes” to, until now. It all boils down to a couple phrases:
- “We’re not in a position to take that on just now.”
- “Sorry, but that’s just not what we do.”
Here’s what you say “YES” to when you say “no” to bad-fit opportunities:
- More bandwidth (time / energy / availability) to market your business to attract more of what you want (not overwhelmed by stuff you wish you didn’t have to deal with, “If only I wasn’t tied up with ________…”)
- More bandwidth (time / creative / team availability) for the excellent clients you ALREADY have who will keep coming back to you BY DEFAULT
- Your growth plan moves ahead faster because you’re not getting your vision blurred by bright shiny objects
- Greater energy in business and life, because you’re doing more of what you do best, that you have the most positive passion for
Bottom line: if your growth is being stunted because you said yes to something through gritted teeth, it’s time to Say NO To Success!
And here’s one more for you:
If It’s Not Hell Yes, It’s HELL NO!