We have received a number of requests for our infamous vegetable fried rice recipe, so here goes.
Serves 4-6 people, but once they get it on their plate, that might go down to two people, with demands for seconds and all 🙂
This is suitable for Vegans and has also gotten rave reviews from carnivores, Paleos, hunters, and more. Everyone loves it.
It tends to be on the spicy side, so you may make the appropriate adjustments below to suit your own tastes.
We use all organic, non-GMO verified products where possible. We respect your preferences in this matter, but that’s what we do.
- 2 cups, long-grain brown rice
- 4 cups of reverse-osmosis water
- 1 tablespoon Vegan buttery spread
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large green bell pepper (chopped)
- 3 large sweet onions (chopped)
- 1 head, garlic (minced)
- 1 cup, peas
- 1 cup, sweet corn
- 1 cup, carrots (diced)
Sauces, spices, and oils
- 2 tablespoons of peanut oil
- 2 tablespoons of red pepper flakes
- 3-4 tablespoons of soy sauce (based on your preference)
- 3 tablespoons of sesame oil
This gets done a lot faster when you first begin cooking the rice, then prepare the vegetables while the rice is cooking.
Step 1: Rice segment
- Boil the reverse-osmosis water
- Add the rice, Vegan buttery spread, and salt
- Reduce heat, add lid/cover, and simmer until done
- Fluff with fork and let sit until Step 3, below.
Step 2: Vegetable segment
- Heat peanut oil, on low heat, in wok or large skillet. (Emphasis on large, as the full mixture will require a large container)
- Simmer garlic and one tablespoon of red pepper flakes in peanut oil
- Add bell pepper, onions, and second tablespoon of red pepper
- Cook until onions are sauteed, stir frequently
Step 3: Combination segment
- Increase to medium/high heat
- Add rice to vegetable mixture, and stir
- Add soy sauce and stir again
- Stir fry until rice is completely colored by soy sauce (darker brown)
- Add peas, corns, and carrots and stir fry for 2 minutes
Step 4: Finishing
- Remove from heat
- Add and stir sesame oil
- For best results, add cover/lid and let mixture sit for at least 30 minutes
OTHER CONSIDERATIONS AND MODIFICATIONS
Occasionally, we add one (1) sprig of broccoli, chopped. In this case, the broccoli can be either steamed or not. Either way, it should be added at the same time as the peas, corns, and carrots, and stir-fry should continue until broccoli is tender.
When the mixture comes out especially hot, a small amount of sour cream (yes there is a Vegan kind) can be added to individual servings.
This tends to be a very filling, but addictive, meal.
It’s also great for date night.