Do you, or someone you know, try to maximize productivity by taking lunch at the office, typing one-handed while trying to eat with the other?
Is this REALLY making you more effective or productive? Is it truly bringing in more clients and customers?
Several times lately, basically the same topic has come up: where and how to have lunch as a Business Creator and public influencer.
Lunchtime = “Make Big Things Happen” Time (Even When You Go Out Alone)
We’ve already covered how lunch is a big deal to every healthy entrepreneur, so let’s define a Business Creator’s Lunch.
It’s about going BIG.
The key is to become the kind of “special customer” establishments love, and will take great care of, to get that automatic patronage from you every week.
- Not at your desk, or at work. Get out of there! You often have your best ideas about business when you’re away from the grind, so let it happen.
- Find 1 or 2 great places in your local neighborhood and frequent them
- Order the same thing every time
- Make sure that “same thing” is a simple order, but have it modified in a way that’s easy to do and involves removing something (ex. “hold the mayo” or “no cheese” – get the idea?)
- Eat it there. Don’t get it “to go.”
Example: you walk into your regular spot. The moment you’re spotted by the staff, one runs over to another and says “I need a ________ with no _______”.
The second staff person recognizes the order, scans the crowd, and waves to you (calling you by name). As you’re settling into your seat, they’ve already poured and are bringing you the iced tea with extra lemon you drink every time.
People in the place see you being called by name, and the entire staff knows what you’re having.
Now, here are some thoughts that cross the minds of the other patrons:
- This person comes here a lot (consistency in what they do)
- Everyone’s happy to see them (easy to get along – i.e. work – with)
- People want to do this person favors (you give to get, so this person must be a giving type)
- They must eat out a lot (which successful people can afford to do)
Also, because the usual back-and-forth over your food order is avoided, you spend less time waiting, more time eating (and networking).
It Also Makes You Kind Of A Big Shot… You Know?
Next time you’re meeting with a client you love, prospect you’re wooing, or worthy rival whose admiration you’re seeking, take them to your special lunch spot.
Vision the impression made when the server arrives at your table for the FIRST time with your drink ALREADY IN HAND, greets you by name, and asks if you’ll be taking “your usual” today.
Picture that look of excitement in the server’s face when you introduce them to your friend – you know, one Big Timer meeting another.
And finally, ponder the accent mark that 4 staffpersons wishing you farewell as you walk out, will add to your prospect’s signature on the deal. (Accent mark, or maybe an extra zero or two.)
The Same Stuff Applies To Marketing, Business, Life, And All That Stuff
Think about it.
It’s easier to just go hang out where your prospects are, then to burn your entire marketing budget (time and money) trying to get more “traffic to your website” (whatever the hell that means).
Consistency in your marketing strategy, methods, and schedule will keep you top-of-mind with your subscribers, fans, and followers.
Eliminating the time sucked up by thinking about lunch “options”, or having to explain the same thing to 25 different people, is one step closer to using those 24-hours billionaire-style.
Now go to lunch.