The Morning Adam™ has heard the same thing from so many entrepreneurs and business creators.
You quit your J.O.B., went all-in on the Entrepreneurial Freedom Dream…
…and here you are, still working at it past 9:00 pm some nights.
Or, Saturday night comes along and you’re contentedly hanging out at home, with your laptop, a glass of whatever, and your cat, taking massive action on that big idea that hit you at the pool earlier, while cranking some great music.
“I thought you were your own boss. You really need a life. Maybe you should get a regular job and enjoy life again.”
OK: we’re not even going to bring up the old saw about entrepreneurs working 80 hours per week to avoid a 40 hour per week job.
(Ok, so we just did.)
The point is, being crazy entrepreneurs ourselves, we at The Morning Adam™ want to point out the following:
- While others wake up at insane hours to shrill alarm clocks, only to sit in traffic and lose the entire day even before showing at the office, we entrepreneurs wake up when we’re done sleeping, having organized our entire business and life to support this.
- While others have to beg and plead for a day off to attend an amazing industry event that will really help us, then are ordered to take the red-eye home on Sunday night and be in the office 8am Monday regardless because it “wouldn’t be fair to take Monday off when you already were out Friday”, we entrepreneurs book 6 days for a 3-day conference and enjoy seeing friends and gaining experiences in a different city.
- While others use vacation and sick days to squeeze in a dentist appointment, following a week of suffering and having to convince their boss the whole company won’t collapse if they leave two hours early, we entrepreneurs walk into the dentist’s office at 10:00 the next morning and pretty much straight into the chair for instant care.
- While others take great pains to be “on the phone or away from their desks” (God we hate that phrase) as little as possible, we entrepreneurs work wherever there’s a good WiFi connection, with scheduling software and virtual assistants ensuring we’re off the phone just about all day long, except for the things that truly matter (like people who give us big money, and reporters eager to quote us).
- While others receive nasty cubicle drop-bys if it’s 8:13 AM and they haven’t answered that e-mail yet, followed by lectures about being a “team player”, we entrepreneurs control our space and our zen. We don’t take on the world of email/phone/social until we’ve already done something to make money. We start on a winning streak.
- While others rush to the nearest slop joint to wolf down a junkburger and be back exactly on time from their 45-minute lunch, we entrepreneurs make lunch the biggest meal of the day. Then we take a nice swim, where the zen of the calm water kickstarts our creativity as we return to our work on a money-making tear! Still in our swimsuits, on the balcony, with our laptops.
So you’re still saying entrepreneurs are crazy?
If that’s what you call crazy, then call us The Crazy McCrazertons – we’ll take it!
As we see it, “crazy” is living in a 9-5, M-F box fantasizing about the weekend.
On the other hand….
Spending a lot of time doing stuff right at the intersection of our brilliance and passion, at odd and random hours when we really feel like doing it?
Sounds pretty sane to us.